Tuesday, July 11, 2023

LCG President's Report by Janet Crozier

I guess I don’t need to tell you, IT’S HOT! Our gardens are taking a beating, but with the shade cloth and diligence, we are still producing eggplant, some zucchini, cucumbers, and peppers. Things are winding down. Many of our beans are not making flowers because of the hot weather and we planted a lot of them. They will be turned into the soil to add nitrogen as it decomposes. We are experimenting with sweet potatoes and have some good-looking okra that added that special something to the gumbo we had for dinner last night.

Our small pumpkins are just about ready to harvest. This was not the plan. I planted them too early. I had a plan in mind that they would be ready for our fall fundraiser, but evidentially I miscalculated the harvest date. That’s one more thing to watch for-the harvest date.

I have some exciting news for our supporters that donated funds for our ADA-Compliant Garden Beds. We finally have the banner you were promised, and I think Molly Lesley and her assistant Megan did a fabulous job on it. If you haven’t been out to see it yet come by and take a look.

I am also thrilled to tell you that we purchased the garden beds that will be used at the new garden site soon. Thanks to Tractor Supply, we purchased 8 garden beds at a very discounted price.

I am writing a grant to finish the project by providing the soil material -vermiculite, peat moss and combination composts to be used in the garden beds. We are getting quotes and planning for an irrigation system to supply water to the garden beds. I am also including a gas-powered chipper to help us mulch our compost. There are other miscellaneous items that will be needed.

By the way, the fall/winter gardening season will start in August. If you are thinking about gardening, this is the time to start planning for the fall vegetables you most like to eat. I’ve heard talk that we might have a food shortage. Not to scare you, but I believe in being prepared. It can’t be a mistake to grow a few things that are good for you and your pocketbook.

I want to thank the Wings of Eagles for their volunteer efforts to pull some of our sticker-burrs. They are really a “thorn in the side.” Sorry I can’t resist a pun.

Have a happy summer, do what you have to to stay cool and hydrated.